The department of radiological sciences is the branch of medical sciences concerned with the use of X-ray, Gamma rays, ultrasonic vibrations, and magnetic resonance imaging, in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases. The radiological science program aims at the preparation of the students by through general scientific basics as well as the scientific background and required skills to carry out their work successfully in the field of radiology techniques and training them to X-Ray diagnosis, nuclear medicine, ultrasonic vibration, magnetic resonance imaging, CT scan using computers and radiotherapy. The program qualifies graduates to work as specialists in radiology field related to the diagnosis and radiotherapy technique in radiology departments and medical imaging in hospitals. The educational programs of the department are implemented through courses that include anatomy, histology, physiology, pathology, basics of medicine as well as computer medical applications, radiation and applied physics in medical technology, radiology and medical imaging.
Therefore, the following educational objectives have been established for students:
- To practically study the characteristics of ultrasounds.
- To practically study the phenomenon of magnetic resonance imaging.
- To practically study the X-ray characteristics.
- To train students to radiography by using laboratory X-Ray equipments, as well as the application on several organisms of maximum 8 cm in length during the early stages of training.
- To study the principal basics of X-ray production, image formation, X-Ray equipments as well as the basics of radiation measuring and prevention, in addition to the interactions of radiations with the substance.
- The student learns the general basics of radiography.
- To provide students with the basics of human physiology, in particular the one related to radiography.
- The students are introduced to the physiology basics of nuclear medicine and to the equipments used in this filed, as well as the method of using them in a professional, safe and effective manner.
- The students are introduced to the basics and principles and definition of ultrasonic vibration, as well as to the ultrasound waves imaging equipment, their techniques and use in the imaging of the different organs in the human body such as thyroid gland, breast and testis. In addition, the students learn how to use the said technique to study the cardiovascular system.
- The student is provided with the required knowledge regarding the principle and the use of contrast methods and their side effects on the human body.
- The student is provided with the general basics of radiography.
- The student learns the necessary basics concerning the prevention from the radiations damages, as well as the safety means in general within the different radiology departments, with the implementation of the international standards for the protection of both patients and staff. In addition, the student acquires the skills in dealing with the equipment used in the prevention from radiation damages.
- The student is introduced to the types of mobile equipments.
Among the department objectives:
- Graduation of well-trained and qualified Saudi youth in radiology major.
- Encourage and practice scientific research, as well as train national staff.
- Cooperation with educational institutions and universities inside KSA and abroad for military service and in adapting it to the benefits of humans.
- Interaction with the community, and presentation of scientific services and expertise to individuals and institutions.
The future career of a medical radiologist includes one of two areas:
A graduate of the Faculty of Radiology (Radiology Specialist) is the holder of a Bachelor of Radiology degree which enables the holder to work in hospitals within the Department of Radiology under the job title (Radiology Specialist). We can summarize the job of the Radiology Specialist in the hospital as the person who ensures the efficiency Work the devices and prepare them technically to receive the patient based on the state of health and the quality of the required examination, which was determined by the physician and make radiation examinations and the process of analysis and modification of medical images within the computer and stored and sent by the storage system and medical communication So the radiologist can later read it to attach his report with the images.
The Bachelor of Radiology Science enables the holder to work in the university educational institutions under the name of "Teaching Assistant". His mission is to supervise the practical lectures in the department and training in hospitals, in addition to resurrection by teaching some preliminary level materials and carrying out some administrative tasks in order to get him Masters and Ph.D. degrees to be an assistant professor.